Stephen is looking to employ a Communications Officer for his busy Aberavon constituency office, on a six month contract for 15 hours a week.
Closing date: 16 August 2020
Working for: Stephen Kinnock MP
Location: Constituency office, Aberavon (currently working remotely)
Salary: £21,529 (pro rata 15hr, 6 months)
An opportunity for someone who is self-motivated, well organised, and meticulous about detail to communicate the work Stephen does in Parliament and in Aberavon with the local community.
The Communications Officer will join a well-established team working alongside other members to raise awareness of his work and help deliver events across Aberavon.
It’ll require someone who can show initiative and be a self-starter, and has an awareness and good knowledge of both new media and traditional communications.
Role will include:
- Assist with organising surgeries, visits and meetings. Attend with the Member and follow up as appropriate
- Publicise the Member’s parliamentary duties on Facebook and Twitter
- Establish, monitor and update a social media and online presence in the constituency. Produce online graphics and video content, as well as publicising surgeries and news alerts etc.
- Follow up on social media queries and comments.
- Monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party-political matters)
- Pro-active and re-active communications with all media
- Produce traditional and electronic materials, including flyers, reports, newsletter and surveys for use in local campaigns and constituent communications.
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
Desirable skills & experience
- Previous experience of a constituency office is desirable;
- Be well organized, have the ability to work to tight deadlines, manage competing priorities and have an eye for detail;
- Good communication and people skills and condent when interacting with people;
- Ability to draft social media content, press releases and traditional materials to a high professional standard;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Competent IT knowledge including Microsoft Office;
- Previous experience of working social media platforms, maintaining a website and producing video content is desirable;
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and politically aware.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office – http://www.w4mp.org/jobs-listings-events/jobs/members-staff-security-verification-questionnaire/
Interview / Start Date: Week commencing 24 August (via Zoom) / 1 October
How To Apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter indicating how you meet the experience and skills detailed in job description and person specification to Cari Morgans at firstname.lastname@example.org