Stephen Kinnock MP is looking to employ a communications officer for his busy Aberavon constituency office.
Closing date: 10 September 2021
Working for: Stephen Kinnock MP
Location: Aberavon constituency office
Salary: £21,529 (pro rata 30hrs a week, must be available 9am-5pm Thursdays and Fridays)
This is an opportunity for someone who is self-motivated, well organised, and meticulous about detail to communicate the work I do in Parliament and as a local MP with the local community.
The Communications Officer will join a well-established team and work alongside other team members to raise awareness of my work and help deliver events across the constituency.
It will require someone who can show initiative and be a self-starter, who is passionate about helping the diverse local community and has an awareness and good knowledge of both new media and traditional communications.
The role will include:
- Assist with organising surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
- Accompanying the MP to meetings and community events with key stakeholders, and managing the communications and media strategy around these engagements. It should be noted that some of these activities take place over the weekend.
- Develop community engagement strategy and deliver community engagement events.
- Mapping, building and developing engagement with key stakeholders, from NPT Council to the Welsh Government, to the Port Talbot steelworks, to a range of local businesses (including the Viva Port Talbot Business Improvement District) and community organisations.
- Publicise the Member’s parliamentary duties on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Establish, monitor and update a social media and online presence in the constituency. Produce online graphics and video content, as well as publicising surgeries and news alerts etc.
- Follow up on social media queries and comments
- Manage and monitor social media enquiries, dealing with cases that do not need to be transferred to a higher level. Ensure all enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner
- Monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party-political matters)
- Preparing media briefings
- Pro-active and re-active communications with all media
- Produce press releases, liaise with the media, meeting deadlines as appropriate
- Produce traditional and electronic materials, including flyers, reports, newsletter and surveys for use in local campaigns and constituent communications.
- Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
Desirable skills & experience
- Previous experience of a constituency office is desirable;
- Be well organized, have the ability to work to tight deadlines, manage competing priorities and have an eye for detail;
- Good communication and people skills and confident when interacting with people;
- Ability to draft social media content, press releases and traditional materials to a high professional standard;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Competent IT knowledge including Microsoft Office;
- Previous experience of working social media platforms, maintaining a website and producing video content is desirable;
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and politically aware.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office – http://www.w4mp.org/jobs-listings-events/jobs/members-staff-security-verification-questionnaire/
Interview / Start Date: week commencing 4 October / as soon as mutually convenient.
How To Apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter indicating how you meet the experience and skills detailed in job description and person specification to Cari Morgans at firstname.lastname@example.org