Job title: Constituency Support and Communications Officer (Full time)
Closing date: 15 July 2022
Working for: Stephen Kinnock MP
Location: Aberavon constituency office
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of contract: Permanent
Stephen Kinnock MP is looking to employ a Constituency Support and Communications Officer for his busy Aberavon office.
An opportunity for someone who is self-motivated, well organised, and meticulous about detail to join a well-established team and communicate the MP’s work in Parliament and Aberavon to the local community and to deliver events across the constituency.
It will require someone who can show initiative and be a self-starter, who understands the Aberavon constituency and is passionate about helping and delivering for the local community.
The role will include:
- Organise and deliver constituency visits and prepare briefings ahead of the visit.
- Attend constituency events and meetings with MP. (N.B. some of these activities take place outside normal working hours and over the weekend)
- Devise, produce and distribute surveys on topical issues and collate the responses for use in parliamentary and local activities.
- Monitor events and issues in Aberavon, informing the MP
- Monitor and maintain a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) promoting the Member’s work and publicising events, surgeries etc. and following up on social media queries and comments.
- Leading on local media management/relations, monitoring local media and preparing press releases and Op-eds on constituency, non-party-political matters.
- Produce regular reports (monthly newsletter), print and online material informing the public of the work undertaken by the Member.
- Maintain website ensuring it is up to date with the latest information.
- Establish, identify and maintain a working relationship with key stakeholders, businesses and community groups in Aberavon
- Mapping, building and developing engagement with key stakeholders, from NPT Council to the Welsh Government, to the Port Talbot steelworks, to a range of local businesses (including the Viva Port Talbot Business Improvement District) and community organisations.
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation.
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
Desirable skills & experience
- Previous experience of a constituency office is desirable;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Be well organized, have the ability to work to tight deadlines, manage competing priorities and have an eye for detail;
- Good communication and people skills and confident when interacting with people;
- Ability to draft social media content, press releases and traditional materials to a high professional standard;
- Competent IT knowledge including Microsoft Office (Publisher, Outlook and Excel) and Canva;
- Previous experience of working social media platforms, maintaining a website and producing video content is desirable;
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and politically aware.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office – http://www.w4mp.org/jobs-listings-events/jobs/members-staff-security-verification-questionnaire/
Interview / Start Date: TBC / as soon as mutually convenient.
How To Apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter indicating how you meet the experience and skills detailed in job description and person specification to Cari Morgans at firstname.lastname@example.org